When: 6th to 10th November 2017
Boarbank Hall is situated near Grange-over-Sands in southern Cumbria,
on the edge of the Lake District, with a fine view over Morecambe Bay.
Our first Autumn Break, two years ago, took as its theme Faith and the Arts.
It was so popular that we decided to follow it up with a similar event focusing on the 18th century. This year, the 500th Anniversary of 1517 suggest an equally rich theme.
The period of conflict and creativity that followed Martin Luther’s challenge to the Church stimulated some of the greatest musical writing of all time, on both the Protestant and Catholic side of the divide. The same century was graced by poets of the calibre of Shakespeare and John Donne, and painters as talented and varied as Bruegel, Holbein, Dürer, Rubens and El Greco. All of these were inspired by religious themes.
Are you ready for a few days of:
- Peace and prayer?
- Talks and discussion?
- Film, music and literature?
- Friendship and fun?
All our residential events include opportunities for:
- Daily Mass
- Morning, Evening and Night Prayer from the Prayer of the Church
- Quiet personal reflection
- Shared meals and social time
- A visit to the Lakes
- Exploring the local area
Who should come?
Everyone is welcome to join us for this event
If you answer 'YES' to any of the questions above, then Boarbank is the place for you this Autumn...
Our proposed theme this year will be 'Reformation and Counter-Reformation'
What will happen?
Talks, presentations and discussions with invited speakers, including:
- Haydn Lee, returning by popular request, is a pianist and music teacher, who has taught in schools in England and Zimbabwe. He has a strong interest in church choral music.
- Dr Joyce Simpson is a former Senior Lecturer in English and Head of Humanities at Leeds Trinity University, with a passion for encouraging others to love poetry.
- Dr Rosemary Mitchell is a Senior Lecturer in History, at Leeds Trinity University, with a particular interest in the history of art.
- Sr Margaret Atkins and Fr Richard Taylor who are resident at Boarbank will also contribute.
Daily Mass, Morning, Evening and Night Prayer from the Prayer of the Church
Opportunities for quiet reflection
Prices include full board and lodging:
Costs for the five days, including full board, range from £245 (double/twin room) to £330 (single en suite).
Please ask if you need financial assistance as some is available.
To secure a place please send a deposit of £50 (cheques payable to ‘Boarbank Hall’).
You can also download and print out a LEAFLET about the course and Boarbank, if you wish to publicise this course in your local area. (Microsoft Word required)
For a provisional booking or more information, please contact SR MARGARET