When: 22nd to 29th July 2017
The week will be open to Catholics in their 20s to 40s.
What is Thinking Faith?
It began in 2005 and is led by a group of Catholic friends, Augustinian and Dominican, religious and lay, with a wide range of personal and professional interests and experience.
Our aim is to share with our guests for the Thinking Faith week a rich experience of community life, based on shared prayer, hospitality and friendship, and the chance to think seriously about our faith in the company of like-minded people.
We will also be joined by members of the community at Boarbank, whose warm hospitality makes Thinking Faith possible
What will happen?
The programme includes talks and discussions on themes including:
- The Reformation
- Before and after Vatican II
- Technology and change
- Environmental change
- The future of energy?
- Wilberforce and John Newton
- Medieval art and conversion
- Change in the Christian life
You will also be able to:
- Make like-minded friends
- Explore your faith
- Enjoy the beauty of Cumbria
- Pray and reflect
- Share our community life
- Walk in the Lake District
- Enjoy social evenings
Who are we?
Speakers and organisers:
- Michal Cieslak worked as an electronic engineer in the power generation industry and is currently doing a PhD in Nuclear Instrumentation Engineering at Lancaster University.
- Maria Hall is organist and director of music at St Wilfrid’s Church, Preston and teaches liturgy for Salford Diocese.
- Joyce Simpson is a former Senior Lecturer in English and Head of Humanities at Leeds Trinity University.
- Martina Rensen teaches Modern Languages in Germany and serves on her Parish Pastoral Council.
- Jane Pendlenton has worked in a range of jobs involving the environment and education, including at the Environmental Change Institute in Oxford.
- Sr Margaret Atkins and
- Fr Richard Taylor who are resident at Boarbank Hall.
- Fr Richard Finn OP, Dominican friar at Blackfriars, Oxford, where he teaches the history of early Christianity and runs the Las Casas Institute for Social Justice. He is the Thinking Faith chaplain.
Prayer and liturgy
Daily Mass, Morning, Evening and Night Prayer from the Prayer of the Church
Opportunities for quiet reflection
The cost of the week including full board
is £375-£410pp for a single room, £325pp for a shared room, or £225pp for students, the low paid and the unwaged.
Please ask if you need financial assistance as some is available.
To secure a place please send a deposit of £50 (cheques payable to ‘Boarbank Hall’)
You can also download and print out a LEAFLET about the course and Boarbank, if you wish to publicise this course in your local area. (Microsoft Word required)
For more information please contact SR MARGARET