The House and Gardens

Boarbank Hall is set in extensive grounds on a hill overlooking Morecambe Bay. The grounds include mixed woodland containing a rich variety of trees, flower and vegetable gardens, a grotto recalling the convent’s dedication to Our Lady of Lourdes, a summer house, a children’s play area and a fine tennis court. The main house was rebuilt in 1870 by a wealthy manufacturer and retains many of the original features, including the porch and the entrance hall, with its impressive central staircase.

We do ask you to continue to access the Chapel from the outside entrance. Many thanks.

Lawns and gazebo Carnival 2013


History of the House

About 1189, William Marshall, Baron of Cartmel, founded at Cartmel a Priory of Canons Regular of St Augustine. The Augustinians remained there until the Reformation. The first surviving mention of Boarbank Hall is in the Parish Registry of 1592, when it was occupied by the Barrow family, who owned most of the large houses in the area. At this stage, Boarbank was probably a large farmstead. The house exchanged hands many times until Miss Harriet Lambert, a well known local benefactor, built the South Lodge in 1837. The North Wing was added later. The house was rebuilt in its present style in 1870 after a fire had destroyed the front of the house. In 1921 the Canonesses of St Augustine moved to the house. The convent building dates from 1928. In 1955 the nursing home, Marymount, was built to the north of the old house; an extension to this, known as Bethany, was added in 1967.

guest in front of tree White rose in garden